Thursday 12 March 2020

Templo talk

If I am completely honest, I didn't enjoy this talk. Although the work is very interesting and insightful, I found his outlook on design very disencouraging. I didn't like how he compared others design projects to his own and put them down, and thought that he was often very hypocritical. Also, #i wanted to hear some sort of tip or encouragment from him when asking the question 'what is the smallest thing you've done that has caused the biggest change'. But he didn't understand it and when explaining that I was asking from the perspective of a student who has limited money and time, he stated that all of his projects were done with no money and limited time. But this is simply not true. The main example he gave was the Arest the General where he was able to fly to countries to speak to people and distribute his work, put himself at risk of being arrested by doing illegal activities and was able to afford to print tshirts and bags. My point was that we wouldn't be able to do such a thing, so what has he done that hasn't required such time, money and illegal activism? But he didn't seem to have a proper answer, so I felt very discouraged and also a bit angry. I feel someone like him should want to encourage people to create as much change as possible but he came accross very short minded in how it should be done. I angered me that he was such an advocate for design for change, yet he was so discouraging.
However, the main point I got from this talk was that even if a design just causes a conversation, it can be enough to cause a change.




No comments:

Post a Comment