Saturday 16 May 2020

Book idea

When researching Gosse, I found that after inventing aquariums and writing literature on the idea, he became very regretful of the invention as it turned into a cruel global business. I though this was interesting as not many people know this. His son wrote in his lament about Gosse's regret, which is a very moving piece of writing I think should be read. To communicate this, I took pages from Gosse's most well known book, defacing the illustrations by cut the living creatures out, putting black boxes over fish, and using the paint bucket tool to fill in parts of the illustration with black. This communicates the loss of life that aquariums has caused for the sea. Placing these images on each page in the design of the book, I then went back through Gosse's book and picked out some pages with writing to fill in the pages. These will have the text over it that reads the lament. The pages I selected where the title page, which I used for the front cover, the preface, a page on the prices of making an aquarium, instructions of making artificial sea water, an invitation to a party of people interested in making aquariums, formed by Gosse,  and what to do when you find a dead sea creature in your aquarium. These pages stood out to me in reflecting the regret of Gosse's invention, highlighting the dark side of aquarium making.

No comments:

Post a Comment