Saturday 26 January 2019

Screen printed sleeve

I chose to experiment with screen printing the envelope and sleeve.The preparation of the screens seemed to go well, however I realised as I was printing that I had missed an area that needed washing off, meaning that this area didn't allow any ink to come through on the envelope. The sleeve however went well, but the result has distorted some if the writing, meaning it is hard to read. Although, I do like the speckled, textured look the screen printing has created. When printing, I had some difficulty in distributing the ink, leaving a corner of the envelope without. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try different colours or print the rest of the designs for my complete sleeve, but I did try printing on different paper stock, card and pff white paper being most effective. I tried printing on newsprint, which came out nicely, but it is too light and flimsy to hold the record and protect it.
I plan on printing the final compete sleeve on the digital printers, using the off white paper and white card. In order to give the sleeve more of a textured look, I may try using a rough sponge once printed, scratching at the print. I will also layer the two tones of the Vainio imagery for the inside of the sleeve by running the paper through the printer for each layer of colour, so that they print on top of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment