Friday 18 January 2019

Initial ideas for book cover

  1. During my process of generating ideas I roughly drew possible photograph ideas. Feedback from crit informed me that I should use these as an idea as they show what the book is about in a simple and obvious way. I have done more drawings that are supposed to summarise each chapter which I have tried to put into a cover, however I struggled with layout - any ideas? Also does the typeface work or should I try drawing a typeface instead? I was thinking of drawing blackletter style type…


  1. The book is based around right wing ideas and obviously ‘how they get away with it’. I thought an obvious way of showing this would be to keep the layout of the cover to the right.

  1. I then thought it would be interesting to show these ideas by displaying the right side as coded, and the left small and just english writing.


Feedback:
  • I like the illustrations as it is an interesting way of depicting what the book is about. However, I feel the 3rd idea is very interesting as it uses only type but still has a solid meaning, how could you push tis further? Why just black and white? Could one extra coloured aspect add more meaning to the full cover? I would choose number 3 to develop as I feel it has good reason behind the design decision.
  • The use of solely black and white is very strong and simple. The idea of having everything to the right feels to work really well is there a way you could do this with the illustrations. I feel the coding idea is the strongest as it the right side idea and is more usual. Does the code represent parts of the book? on this its the left side thats coded is that correct? 

  • I like the illustrations as a contrast to the type in the first idea, while the type is harsh and bold, the illustrations are simple and light
  • I feel as if the ‘And how they get away with it’ is a bit too big, lower the font size, and ‘The phenomenal bestseller’ should have different placement and should also be smaller (maybe at the top, centre aligned?)
  • I really like the 3rd idea, something about the text being right aligned to the centre makes it feel off? which I think works in the themes. Having it all at the top as well works with the idea of the them being higher up
  • Having ‘the establishment’ in all caps also distinguishes it as the title
  • I would develop this idea further, potentially adding some sort of simple diagram to the white space? though the negative space does work on its own
  • For the 4th idea I think using code is interesting, however don’t use this code (wingdings?)
  • Maybe go for morse code? or something more simple?


  • I like the use of serif font - indicates a level of seriousness and authority. Cover may be more exciting if the colours were inverted? White text on black background.
  • I like the use of paragraph alignment to reflect the right wing ideas - could perhaps be combined with imagery? Perhaps simplistic bitmap images to keep the cover minimalistic.
  • Idea 3 is best. Nice use of imagery to reflect the idea, I like how the images have also been aligned to the right as well. Could experiment with alignment pyramid scheme?

No comments:

Post a Comment