Sunday 21 October 2018

Modular Typefaces: Grid Systems

TASK 1


50X 4 letter word; FUNK.
Experimentation with weight, proportion and density. Keeping a rule for fluency throughout the typeface. Introduce decay, distortion, randomness, repetition. Use circles and squares, serifs and black-letter.
I found creating continuity in the word 'FUNK' hard as the 'N' and 'K' both use diagonal lines that became repellent to the rule.

Scan of a particularly effective grid ↴



Using other materials ↴


 [obscured using photocopier]






























































I then experimented with using objects to create a modular typeface. I did two versions; the objects still, and the objects falling. For the cubes, I layered these different versions over each other, using different effects to merge them together.







I used different tones of counters to create the letters to increase readability. Layering the two versions over each other would have been to chaotic so I kept them separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment